Online Banter

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Kettering Town

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Long Hop
Admin

Number of posts : 360
Registration date : 2006-08-21

PostSubject: Kettering Town   Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:40 pm

I never EVER thought I'd be writing a post like this but I broke my 15 year duck and went to watch the Poppies last night in the FA Cup and actually really enjoyed it!!!

First 10 mins were long ball dross and I thought I'd wasted my money but then it settled down and Kettering actually played some good football!! They were by far the better side and even after going 1-0 down to a good goal they carried on and scored 2 great goals. cheers

I was suprisingly impressed with about 5 of the Kettering players. They had a young lad in midfield - Potter who looked about 15 but was awesome!! He had some serious skill and tried to take people on every time he got the ball.

Might even go and watch them play Eastwood in the next round!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shorty

Number of posts : 489

PostSubject: Re: Kettering Town   Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:20 pm

if you bring the same amount of luck then you're more than welcome at Rocky Road!

Just waiting to here the ET Sport editor's version of events! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pie chooker

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Kettering Town   Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:35 am

It seems the Poppies are like the christmas decorations , and we know when they come down.

I watched the game recently against Oxford. How does anybody pay money to watch that dross. It was shocking. Long ball at every opportunity.
However most of those long balls especially from Geoghan ??? ended up in Britannia Rd. As for that goalkeeper . I ve now watched him twice and it seems he is the weak link . A mistake Vs Burton Alb cost them and as for his woeful display Vs Ox , he has to go. He even had a chance to equalise in the dying minutes and that was just laughable , even my Mrs would ve had that volley nestling in the onion bag . I think his effort hit the house that looks onto the ground.
When i asked a regular supporter about this performance he told me that was a good display compared to recent weeks.

Also at half time , Setanta have cameras in the dressing room. Does Mark Cooper not realise this ? His team talk was and i quote " If anybody comes near you in the box go down , just hit the f***in deck ".
Draw your own conclusions . Cheat springs to mind for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shorty

Number of posts : 489

PostSubject: Re: Kettering Town   Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:00 am

nice to see you've actually got off yer arse and actually gone to see a game!!!

Fun how you don't mention the other two recent TV performances Kettering have had against Boston and Notts County both of which were superb...

can't comment about the "cheating" - unless you want to talk about the 11 Oxford fall about in agony players...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Long Hop
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kettering Town   Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:46 pm

99% of footballers are cheats who dive the first chance they get. Even national heroes like Stveven Gerrard like to dive around once they are inside the Penalty Area. Then again if managers are telling them to do it what chance has the game got??

As for bending the rules in sport - ask Chooker what sot of state the seam on a cricket ball is in after he's had a 10 over stint with it?!! Laughing

Final net tonight Chooker - you gonna make your debut?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Percy

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Kettering Town   Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:59 am

Quote :
Even national heroes like Stveven Gerrard like to dive around once they are inside the Penalty Area

They are getting paid lots of money by clubs to win, not to be incredibly fair. I'm not saying its a good thing, but you have got to face facts. You are paid by Velux to peddle their product. I'm sure it would be fairer of you to advise your customers if there is better stuff out there, but thats not your Job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Long Hop
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kettering Town   Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:20 pm

Hmmm, not sure your analysis of a product market relates directly to football.

A ford salesman does not try and sell his Mondeo by saying its better than the Aston Martins for sale down the road. If asked he would no doubt actually tell you the Aston is a better car, he'd also point out they are 100K more expensive, both facts.

So yes, to contradict you I would tell someone if there was a 'better' product out there but would try and compete on other issues like price etc.

I guess what your saying is that when sport becomes a job it no longer is a 'sport' in the true sense of the word.

Does that mean someone like Dan Bendon who gets paid to play club cricket on a Sunday has the justification to cheat in a match as it is effectively a working day? and the other players have to be honest as they are playing in a recreational manner???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Percy

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Kettering Town   Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:13 pm

The point is that it is their job to win. If Steven Gerrard stays on his feet and doesnt get the penalty and the Ronaldo dives at the other end and does, Gerrard has effectively done his employers out of a result, which is what he is paid to get. If nobody wanted to bend the rules we wouldn't need referees. The fact that we have had them ever since football has been played suggests that it isnt a new phenomenon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Long Hop
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kettering Town   Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:30 pm

Quote :
If nobody wanted to bend the rules we wouldn't need referees

I think that the notion that referees are simply there to stop people cheating/bending the rules is doing football an injustice. They are there to make decisions like who the ball came off when it went out, did the ball cross the line, was it offside etc etc. Judging if someone has taken a dive is indeed down to them but if the players acted as sportsmen it is a decision that would not have to be made, unlike all the others a ref makes during a game.

At the end of the day, Gerrard and Ronaldo get paid a salary- win or loose.

Retief Goosen and every other pro golfer only gets paid what they earn in winnings where every place up the leaderboard means more money - so by your way of thinking an even more understandable situtaion to be cheating to support your family etc. They however regulate themselves. Player power deems that if anyone were to cheat they would be pretty much extradited from the sport. Golf has referees but they are never called upon to decide if a player has cheated or not. They generally make decision where there is doubt upon a local rule etc. How many times have you seen a golf referee reviwing a slow motion of a bunker shot to see if the club was grounded and the player tried to get away with it - probably never.

Golf does go someway to prove that a sport played for money and played to win, while being a persons livleyhood can be played without cheating to win.

Justifying someone cheating because they are playing to win and earn cash is an insult to many other sports........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kettering Town   

Back to top Go down

Kettering Town
Page 1 of 1